Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Harry Potter Project of Doom "Quilt-Behind": Week 25

I really enjoyed this week's block.  I had wanted my quilt to have an embroidery pattern I found on Etsy with the major spells of the Harry Potter world, but I wasn't sure how to include it.  When Jennifer posted this week's block, I knew it was the perfect spot.  Since I left my book open, my spells are escaping!  I accidentally put the tops of the words right up at the top of the block without much room for seam allowance, but I think it will look like they are crashing into the shelf above when I assemble the quilt, so I'm pretty content.

This is the finished block:

Project of Doom
Open book block.

It's not exactly square, but because I have altered some of the blocks (for example; I widened the book on the left to accommodate more of the unicorn), I will pair it up with another block that was a little over to even it out.  When I assemble the quilt, I will add a book to each shelf to make them match up in width.  To fit the spells above the book, I had to extend the book cover on the left by about a quarter of an inch.  That wouldn't drive me nuts so bad if it weren't perfectly even on the other side, but I think I'm going to make a polyjuice felty potion bottle to sit right there to cover it up.

Project of Doom
Harry Potter spell embroidery.  Pattern by embroideryquotes on Etsy.

I got this amazing Harry Potter spells embroidery pattern from embroideryquotes on Etsy.  I haven't done a great job of trimming up all the stray threads, but I love the way it turned out.  I did have to resize it slightly smaller to fit my hoop, and I used a cotton thread, so there were a few thread breaks.  Nothing too dramatic, though.  Even so, it must have been meant to be, because I got it all stitched up and almost perfectly placed on my first try.

Project of Doom
I'm glad I bought lots of this aged book page fabric ...
there are a lot of books in this quilt!

I am using this fabric on all my books that have pages.  It looks like it blends in with the natural background, but there's actually a decent difference between them in real life.  I love that it adds a touch of text without being full of in-your-face words.  It was hard to choose between this book and the dragon eggs variation, but I think the dragon eggs will end up under my bookshelf when I assemble the quilt.

Project of Doom
Far Far Away by Windham Fabrics.  This unicorn reminds
me a bit of illustrations in The Phantom Tollbooth.

I adore this fabric, and I got quite a bit of it so I could use some in the girls' new room after we move.  It's from Windham Fabrics and it is the "Far Far Away" line.  Really pretty, whimsical fabrics.

Speaking of fabrics, don't forget to go check out our giveaway post here.  There are no entries yet, so your chances are astronomically good.  ;)  And I may just continue to add more book spine fabrics until we have some entrants, so this giveaway will continue to get better over time.  Head on over and make sure you're in on the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and feedback! I will try to get back to you shortly.