Friday, September 20, 2013

Confessions of a project hopper (free UFO organizer)

I project hop.  A lot.  Sometimes I see those adult ADD commercials and I think, Jeez, that could be me!

I used to think I was alone in this, until I started following other quilters in their journeys.  It turns out, there are a lot of UFOs* tucked away in bins and on top of sewing tables and in the backs of closets.  I suspect every once in a while a quilter stumbles on an old UFO and realizes he or she completely forgot that project had ever been started!
My project hopping is so bad that I have had to develop a UFO list to keep me organized.


This wasn't even enough room for all my projects, and this is just for quilts!  Eep!
I realize this is something you could easily put together on your own and even customize it to fit your needs, and this is meant to be an idea to spark your own creativity.  By all means, develop your own!  If you are not a quilter, you can format it to your own type of projects.  I would love it if you could share your ideas here.  If, however, you would prefer the readymade version and would like to download a copy of this, you can find it here.  I highly recommend laminating it and using vis-à-vis markers so you can reuse it as needed.
I also love the fact that, besides keeping track of what I have left to do, I have a visual reminder that yes, I have finished some projects and made good headway on others.  It's nice to be reminded of this every once in a while.

Here it is, in action.  (I switched out some of my Christmas gifts for some of my other future projects.)  Yes, I also hang my templates and rulers on the wall for easy access.  We just pretend it's wall décor.
*If you do not understand the term UFO, you are either not a quilter, or you always finish what you start, which I find suspect.  ;)  A UFO is an UnFinished Object, and for many of us, they multiply like rabbits in the dark recesses of our sewing spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and feedback! I will try to get back to you shortly.