Wednesday, September 4, 2013

In the beginning ...

Hello, everyone, and welcome to my new blog!

Where exactly does one start?

Well, I am an at-home mom to three wonderful but very active children, so I haven't had much time to make my own brand of mischief the past few years.  But all that is about to change.  My third is finally in school (*happy dance!*), and I will have a little more time to myself this year to pursue my own passions.

I have many hobbies: photography, writing children's books, cooking, gardening, and more.  In the last year, however, I have become an addict avid quilter.  Well, quilt top maker.  I am still learning the quilting process, so I hope you will join me on that journey as well.  I do almost all my quilts by paper piecing but have had some fun with applique, too.

I stumbled on paper piecing quite accidentally.  I was looking for an applique pattern for a TARDIS pillow for my sister (which turned out awesome, by the way), when I found a paper pieced pattern for a TARDIS.  I had never attempted paper piecing, and with a combination of video and written tutorials, I finally made a hot mess of mastered it.  On my journey, I ultimately landed at the website Fandom in Stitches, which has a HUGE wealth of free patterns for various fandoms.  I have become so inspired by the amazing ladies and gentlemen who contribute to and frequent the site.  I highly recommend checking out the site and getting familiar with the patterns available there, and even joining the very supportive Facebook group.

This blog will exist as a place where I can share some of the patterns I design, as well as my progress on certain projects.  Most my patterns will be paper piecing patterns, although I may add some applique and embroidery patterns as well.  Most of them will be related to my favorite fandoms, but I am not adverse to making other patterns also.  All these patterns will be entirely free for you to use and available here on the blog, as long as you are using it for personal or nonprofit reasons.

Although I am not taking requests yet, I would love to know if there is anything in particular you are hoping to see.  Leave me a comment if you have any suggestions!

**UPDATE**  I was able to finish and successfully test the first of a series of Monty Python and the Holy Grail blocks today!  I will be releasing this pattern on Thursday afternoon, so come back and check for it then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and feedback! I will try to get back to you shortly.